Aspiring dentists would find this compilation of the Top 10 Schools for Dentists quite useful. Earning a degree at one of these educational institutions will train you to kick-start a successful career in the field of dentistry.
Top 10 Schools for Dentists in the US
As per QS World University Rankings, the following schools are among the best dental schools in the U.S.
1 – University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
The University of Michigan offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – The four year program integrates clinical sciences, biomedical sciences, and clinical care.
- Master’s Degrees – Degrees in Dental Hygiene, Endodontics, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Oral Health Sciences – This program takes around five to six years to complete and covers the following subject areas: tissue engineering and regeneration, oral health disparities, musculoskeletal disorders, and mineralized tissue biology.
- Dual Degree Programs – Including the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)/Master of Business Administration (MBA) and the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)/Doctor of Philosophy in Oral Health Sciences.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S) in Dental Hygiene – This is a two-year long program that trains students for the practice of contemporary dental hygiene.
- The Internationally Trained Dentist Program (ITDP) – This is a 28-month long program that is developed for those students who have graduated from non-US dental schools and want to pursue dentistry in the U.S.
2 – Harvard University
The Harvard University offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) – The four-year program focuses on the fundamentals of medicine and social and population sciences. The coursework covers topics related to pharmacologic principles, immunology, dental anatomy, oral physiology, oral microbiology and craniofacial development.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Biological Sciences in Dental Medicine – This degree offers advanced study in the supracellular, cellular, supramolecular, and molecular processes that provide the intellectual basis for dentistry. The degree trains students in the following research areas: developmental biology, inflammation, pain research, craniofacial development, oral microbiology, tooth development, and bone biology.
- A range of Advanced Graduate Education (AGE) programs that lead to a Doctor of Medical Sciences (DMSc) or a Master of Medical Sciences (MMSc), along with a certificate in a specialty field. The expected program length of MMSc degree combined with specialty certificate is around three years. Whereas, the length of DMSc degree combined with a certificate is around 4 years.
3 – University of California, San Francisco
The University of California offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – The DDS curriculum is four years long. The program aims to help students master a range of clinical and procedural skills.
- Dual Degrees – Like DDS/MBA and DDS/PhD. The DDS/MBA program combines dental science with leadership and management, while the DDS/PhD program combines advanced research and clinical training.
- International Dentist Program – This two-year pathway enables dentists who have completed their education and training from outside the U.S to earn a DDS degree.
4 – University of Washington
The University of Washington School of Dentistry offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – This program takes four years to complete.
- International Dentist DDS Program – This program gives the opportunity to foreign trained dentists to get a DDS degree.
- Master of Science in Dentistry (MSD)/Postgraduate Certificates – The graduate programs are being offered in the following disciplines: Prosthodontics, Periodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Biology, and Endodontics.
- Master of Science (MS) in Oral Health Sciences – This program trains students in areas of craniofacial and oral biology.
- Master of Science (MS) in Dental Hygiene – The two-year long degree covers modules related to oral pathology and oral histology.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Oral Health Sciences – This program helps students gain proficiency in craniofacial and oral sciences.
- DDS/PhD in Oral Health Sciences – This joint degree takes around eight years to complete.
5 – New York University
The university offers the following dental programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – The curriculum of this program includes modules related to clinical science, behavioral sciences, and covers social issues related to public health.
- Dental Hygiene Programs – The NYU College of Dentistry offers an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) and a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Dental Hygiene.
- Advanced Education Programs in:
- Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – which is a 6-year Integrated MD Program.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – which is a 4-year Certificate Program.
- Periodontics, Prosthodontics, and Pediatric Dentistry.
- Programs for International Dentists – These programs offer a curriculum of clinical experiences and didactic components in areas like Oral Surgery, Implant Dentistry, and Esthetic Dentistry.
6 – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
The university offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – This is a four year dental program that focuses on the Advocate-Clinician-Thinker framework.
- Dental Hygiene Programs – UNC’s School of Dentistry offers a Certificate in Dental Hygiene, a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Dental Hygiene, and a Master of Science (MS) in Dental Hygiene. The MS program is focused on preparing students for careers in management, research, administration, and teaching.
- Graduate and Advanced Dental Education – A total of fifteen advanced dental education and graduate programs are being currently offered by the university which include Certificate programs, Master’s programs, PhD Programs, and Clinical Observational Externships.
7 – University of Pennsylvania
The university offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – The four-year program focuses on modules related to oral healthcare and oral science.
- Graduate Dental Education Programs – The university offers postgraduate study options in several dental specialties that lead to certificates in the following fields: prosthodontics, periodontal prosthesis, periodontics/orthodontics, periodontics, pediatric dentistry, and many more.
- The Program for Advanced Standing Students (PASS) – It is targeted at graduates of non-U.S. dental schools who wish to pursue dentistry in the U.S.
8 – University of California, Los Angeles
UCLA offers the following programs:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – The four-year long DDS program helps students gain technical, diagnostic, and preventive knowledge.
- Professional Program for International Dentists – The two-year long advanced standing program has been specifically designed for dentists who have graduated from non-U.S dental schools.
- Post-graduate Training Programs – These degrees vary in length and take around one to six years to complete. They focus on a wide range of specialized fields such as Endodontics, Maxillofacial Prosthetics, Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology.
9 – Columbia University
The following programs are being offered at the Columbia University:
- DDS Program – The degree focuses on cultural competency skills, interpersonal skills, innovation, and critical thinking.
- Dual Degrees – Such as DDS/MBA, DDS/MA in Science and Dental Education, and DDS/Master in Public Health.
- Advanced Standing Program for Foreign Trained Dentists.
- Postdoctoral and Residency Programs.
10 – University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota offers the following program:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) – The four year curriculum includes courses in behavioral science, dentistry, and basic science.
- Dental Hygiene – The dentistry school offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) and a Master of Science (MS) degree in Dental Hygiene.
- Dual Degree Programs – Such as the Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene (BSDH)/Master of Dental Therapy (MDT).
- Dentistry Program for Advanced Standing Students – (UMN PASS): This program is designed for those students who have completed their dental education outside the US or Canada and want to pursue their dentistry careers in the United States.